What is Ketogenic diet
- Keto diet for beginners guide is also called ketogenic diet
- Ketogenic diet is a low carb high fat diet
- You replace your carb intake with food containing healthy fats
- In this diet, your body produces a fuel called ketones, an alternative to glucose
- The liver produces ketones from the fat, and the energy is further supplied to the entire body especially the brain
- It is easier to burn fat and produce ketones compared to breaking carbohydrates and producing glucose
- This diet is very good for faster weight loss and for people suffering from high blood pressure, obesity and diabetes.
Types of keto diet
1.The standard ketogenic diet (SKD):
- This diet is for beginners
- This is a very low-carb, moderate-protein and high-fat diet
- This diet contains 75% fat 20% protein and 5% or 20-25 gms carbohydrates
- nyone who wants to lose body fat or those suffering from high blood pressure can follow this diet.
2.High protein ketogenic diet (
- This is a very high protein diet which helps build muscles
- This diet is popular among bodybuilders, weightlifters or people who require more protein in their diet.
- This diet contains 60% fat, 35% proteins, and 5% fat.
3.The cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD)
- The cyclical ketogenic diet involves eating a low carbohydrate, standard keto diet for 5 days, followed by 2 days of eating a high carb diet.
- During the carb-loading phase, roughly 70% of your calories will come from carbohydrates.
The CKD diet consists of the following:
1.The standard ketogenic diet followed for 5 days
- 75% calories from fat,
- 20% calories from protein and
- 5% calories from carbs
2.The carb-loading phase followed for 2 days
- 70% of calories from carbohydrates
- 20–25% of calories from protein
- 5–10% of calories from fa
This type of ketogenic diet is best for people who want to build lean mass
4. The targeted ketogenic diet (TKD)
- This type of ketogenic diet is ideal for maintaining energy during exercise, fueling your muscles with glycogen while working out.
- In TKD, one should consume 25–50 grams of carbs an hour before exercising. This would make up your carb intake for the day.
- The TKD is a mixture of the standard ketogenic diet and the cyclical ketogenic diet. It allows you to train at higher intensities in the gym.
Benefits of Ketogenic diet
Faster weight loss– Because fat becomes the main source of energy for the body, the body actively burns fat when it needs energy instead of breaking down carbohydrates to form glucose, which is a
Better concentration- When on a ketogenic diet your body consistently supplies fuel to the brain as fat keeps burning and convert into energy, therefore keeping the brain active. On a normal diet, the energy level keeps fluctuating as the body first needs to break down carbs and convert them into glucose and supply it to the brain.
Lowers blood pressure- One of the main causes of blood pressure is obesity. Since on a keto diet, your blood pressure is in control. Studies have proven that a ketogenic diet is the best alternative to pills to control blood pressure.
Helps fight diabetes- People suffering from diabetes keep producing more insulin in their body. The keto diet removes sugar from the diet and reduces the insulin level in your body, therefore helping you reverse diabetes.
Keeps you energetic all day- For energy your body needs glycogen and it has limited storage for it in your body. Therefore you need to constantly refuel it. On a keto diet, your body uses ketones as a source of energy, and for that, the body uses fat which has more storage limit compared to glycogen and does not need to be refuelled. Therefore the body stays energetic for a longer period of time
Food to eat on a Ketogenic diet
Nuts and dry fruits
Sugar-free tea and coffee
Food to avoid on a Ketogenic diet